Monday, March 28, 2011

HTC Evo - Terrible Device?



When MG reviewed the new HTC EVO, which is now selling out in the U.S., I wasn’t surprised he gave it a thumbs down. The device was too big in his opinion, the software too flaky. And the battery life isn’t just bad, it’s 90′s laptop bad. You need to be near a power source at all times.
But the commenters came at him anyway, attacking so viciously that they were actually starting to act like the evil twins of rabid Apple fanboys. “Android Fanboys Have Arrived,” quipped MG.


Well, I’m an Android Fanboy, and I’m telling you not to buy this device. The battery life is abysmal – MobileCrunch calls it a “dealbreaker” and I agree. Yes you can do a few things to get a little extra time out of it, but this device routinely runs out of power while sitting on standby overnight next to my bed. You aren’t just charging this once a day. Or twice a day. You need to be thinking about your next power fix just about any time you are using it. I keep chargers at home, in my office, in my car, and an extra one to suck power from my laptop. That keeps it going, but it isn’t fun.


And it’s more than that. The HTC Sense user interface and all the extra HTC and Sprint software on this device just makes it a joke for anyone that wants to fully control and customize their device. You can get rid of or at least turn off much of it, but it’s a pain to do that. And worse, you can’t upgrade the Android OS to new releases until HTC and Sprint are ready to let you do that. See Gizmodo for a full analysis of the problem.

See full story here

8 comments:

  1. thanks for the heads up. staying away from this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard great things about it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like HTC fell short on this one. I can't stand low battery life. My 50 dollar phone can stay on 3 bars for nearly a whole day. Although it isn't a smartphone (disgrace!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like their engineers and/or product testers completely dropped the ball on this one. Personally I like a phone that's as simple as possible. I just need it to make calls, and until a couple years ago I didn't even know how to text.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's disappointing, thanks for the heads up though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn, that one looked like a good phone, glad I know about this failure though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review, my current contract is almost up and I was looking for new phones.

    ReplyDelete